Canoe Outpost-Peace River’s Kids Can Paddle!
Taking the kids paddling or camping?
Here are some ideas to help entertain them. The most important thing to remember is let them be kids and get them outdoors!
During the day, kids can:
- Dip for minnows and crawfish
- Skip stones if you can find some
- Follow trails
- Blow bubbles
- Look for fossils
- Find shapes in the clouds
- Play games
- Look for critter tracks
- Gather firewood
- Be your picture taker
- Play Frisbee
- Play ball
- Build the campfires
- Scavenger hunts
- Play tag
- Alphabet Nature Hunt (remember the old sign and car Alphabet game?)
- Make wood grain and leaf rubbings. Use fallen leaves and paper & crayons
At night, kids can:
- Listen for the hoot owls, coyotes, and other creatures of the night!
- Count the stars
- Roast marshmallows
- Tell scary stories
- Shine for eyes (with flashlights). Ones in the water might be gators!
- Take a night walk (if you’re not disturbing others)
- Play catch with glow in the dark Frisbees or glow sticks
- Have a sing-a-long
- Play cards, when was the last time you played “War”?
What to bring
- Inexpensive cameras
- Fishing poles
- Dip nets
- Board Games
- Deck of cards
- Balls: beach ball, football, kickball, tennis ball
- Art supplies: paint, crayons, & markers with plenty of paper.
- Paper for paper airplanes, and then use them to start the campfire. (Recycle those old office copies!)
- Origami supplies and instructions
- Magnify glasses for critter i.d. (plastic)
- Bug Barns
- Animal, bird, and plant i.d. books
- Musical instruments
Hey Kids – Did you think we forgot you? No way! At Canoe Outpost-Peace River we love kids. We know you’ll have a lot of fun on the Peace River but just in case you can’t make it down to the water, we’ve got some cool coloring book pages, mazes and puzzles. THESE GET PRINTED ON YOUR PRINTER!!
Here are some kayak and canoe coloring pages.
They start easy but get harder fast! Give them all a try
- Easy Whitewater
- Boy Kayaker
- Girl Kayaker
- Strong Lady Kayaker
- Canoe Man
- Paddling Snowman
- Gone Canoeing
- Find these Animals
Try these fun maze games. Carl, Penny and Tommy need your help!
- Help Carl Canoeist go home
- Penny goes to the Big Falls
- Help Tommy find Lost Canyon
You just have to try these! Think you can figure these paddling puzzles out?
- Carl’s Water Words word search (easy)
- Billy Bonzai word search (hard)
- Help Kayla Kayaker Find Animals word search (hard)
- Paddler Word Fragments (hard) answers here
- Canoe Outpost-Oak Hill Scavenger Hunt
Divide into teams of tw0. Assign one person to carry the bag of treasures. Follow your leader on a hike to find the items on the list. You have one hour to find all the items. First team back with all the items or the most points wins.
- Shark tooth (fossil)
- Stingray mouth part (fossil)
- “White” fossil
- Deer Track (take a picture)
- Hog Track (take a picture)
- Bird Track (take a picture, 2 bonus points if bird is identified)
- Alligator (take a picture!)
- Oak Leaf
- Pine Needle
- Bird Feather (2 bonus points if bird is identified)
- Bracken Fern Leaf
- Myrtle Bush Leaf
- Blade of Coggan Grass (careful, it’s like Sawgrass)
- Wild Grape leaf
- Fleabane Flower (you can pick this one)
- Tickseed Flower (Florida State Wildflower), take a picture
- Pine Cone
- Leaf of a Cat Briar (1 extra point for a berry). Watch out for thorns.
- Cherokee Bean (Coral Bean) Flower (take a picture)
- Willow Tree Leaf (down by the river)
- Pond Cypress (take a picture, make sure it’s not a Bald Cypress)
- Piece of Dog Fennel (nature’s mosquito repellent)
- Caesar Weed Seed (nature’s Velcro, many people call it cockleburs)
- Spanish Needle Seed (hint: white daisy flowers, seeds look like black needles that stick to your clothes)
- Duck Weed (watch for gators!)
- Spanish Moss-Old Man’s Beard
- Big Foot (hint: he’s west of the mid-property fence & gate)
- Traveling Shoes (hint: kiddie camo crocs hidden in the trees. Take a picture!)
Please don’t pick any of the wildflowers, we need them to “go to seed” for next year.
Before picking any leaves, may sure know what you’re picking!